Good Evening Class 1!

I hope I find you all well!

It has been great to get back into work this week following my operation, the children have been superstars and it has been great to hear about everything they got up to at Wassand Hall (I really feel like I missed out!). However, next week I will be able to enjoy the trip to Hull with all of the children. Please see my last blog post for any additional details.

I mustn’t forget to say how proud I am about how the children have applied themselves in relation to the Phonics Screener, they’ve blown me away! Absolute superstars, each and every one of them!

The children have started their brand new unit this week based upon Place Value, focusing on numbers from 50-100. They have revisited skills taught earlier in the year and applied them to much larger numbers. I have been really impressed by their enthusiasm. Next week, we will explore the number line to 100, 1 more and 1 less than a given number and comparing numbers. Depending on how we get on with these subject areas we may be in a position to start the money unit the week after next.

In English we have continued our poetry unit, much to the joy of the children. We have explored a range of different silly poems from, The Puffin Book of Fantastic First Poems. The children have really enjoyed learning about syllables, what a rhyme is, how to spot a rhyme and how to count syllables (ask them to put their hand under their chin – it really works!). On Monday we will write our poems and on Tuesday we will edit and improve. Prior to starting our new unit that is based upon letter writing.

RWI Home learning:

Practice your  story green words and red words from your home reading book on a piece of paper at home. These can be found on the How to help your child read this book page.

Challenge: Can you use the words in sentences?

Maths

To support your learning and knowledge in regards to ordering numbers on a number line, I would like you to revisit this game:

Please follow the link below:

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/ordering-and-sequencing/caterpillar-ordering

1. Select sequencing.
  2. Choose 0-100 from the orange selection.
  3. Have fun!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Mr Mallison

Weekly Round Up 14th June