Good Afternoon Class 1 and a Happy New Year to you all!

It feels somewhat strange wishing you all a Happy New Year considering that it is already Friday and I have wished you all a Happy New Year in person at school; however this is the first blog of 2023 and I may not have seen all of your parents/guardians yet. I hope that you have all have an amazing Christmas break and that Father Christmas made a special visit to you. I must send my thanks for the wonderful gifts that you sent the year 1 team; I must send my apologies that I haven’t sent thank you cards yet; I had a world wind of a Christmas break; getting married, Christmas festivities and then a honeymoon crammed into 2 weeks has left me a little behind on thank you cards; but I aim to get them out to you all ASAP!

For the spring term, we have a very exciting theme of; Up, Up and Away! Over the spring term our learning will be driven by the History of Flight. Here is a brief overview of our intended learning journey up to Easter.

History: In History we will be learning all about the history of flight from the Wright Brothers to Amy Johnson to Neil Armstrong and everything in between

Geography: A focus on the UK; primarily the four countries and capital cities.

Science: Everyday Materials.

Art: Christopher Corr and his use of colour within painting.

DT: Vehicles – Modes of Transport for flight.

Music: We will commence the term by completing the In the Groove Unit;

which explores a range of different musical styles including: Blues, Baroque, Latin, Bhangra, Folk and Funk. Each week will will learn about a different musical style.

Computing: In our computing lessons we will be learning about coding and algorithms.

RE: In RE the children will be learning about how they can Care for the World.

PE: Our two focus areas for this half-term are Games and Balance, Agility and Coordination.

General Information

1. PE will take place on a Monday (outdoor) and Tuesday (indoor); please send your child to school wearing their PE kit as per the uniform policy.
  2. Homework will be issued on a Friday and will then need to be handed in the following Thursday.
  3. Details of homework will be posted on the blog; where you will be sign posted to the correct platform e.g. PurpleMash or Seesaw for example.
  4. RWI books will be changed on Wednesday; both electronic (encompassing a book and online quiz) and hard copies . Please note the hard copy and electronic copy are different books.

Spelling: I have set a compound spelling activity on Purple Mash for the children to have a go at to support our learning in class this week.

Maths: Please choose one of these interactive games to have a go at:

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/learning-to-count/helicopter-rescue Choose your level of challenge.

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button Number bonds to 20.

Theme:

Spend some time researching Amy Johnson, The Wright Brothers or Neil Armstrong (you could use the internet, the library or books from home or school) and then create a poster to show me what you have found out.

Have a great weekend!

Happy New Year!