Good Morning Class 1!

I hope I find you all well this lovely sunny Sunday morning, fingers crossed the rain and wind will stay away today and you will all be able to enjoy the lovely April sunshine.

My apologies for the late posting of the blog this week, slight technical problem, but we’re back up and running (fingers crossed).

In maths this week the children began their Multiplication and Division unit with great enthusiasm, I was blown away by their knowledge of the 10x table. We got a little bit confused with our 5x table to begin with, but our confidence improved as the week end on (please see the homework task at the bottom of the page which will help with a little bit of practice at home). Tomorrow we are going to be identifying equal groups and then seeking to add equal groups, we will then make arrays and practice our doubling.

English

The children have absolutely loved our Diary writing unit, especially finding out all about Dougal’s adventures. Furthermore, the children really enjoyed working together to create their very own adventure for Dougal ( I really hope they’ve been telling you all about it – especially the grumpy octopus!). I was very impressed that the children wanted to link their diary entries to our previous class book Smiley Shark, which seems to be a class favourite this year. Tomorrow, we will be finishing off our diaries and then we will commence our new unit; 5-part story writing linked to the book Sleeping Beauty.

RWI Home learning:

Practice your  story green words and red words from your home reading book on a piece of paper at home. These can be found on the How to help your child read this book page.

Challenge: Can you use the words in sentences?

Maths

To support our maths development and understanding of the 5x table I would really like the children to spend some time playing both of these games (the children loved using these games in class on Friday). Please do focus on the 5x table, although it wouldn’t harm to have a go at the 10x table as well.

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/mental-maths-train

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/times-tables/coconut-multiples

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Mr Mallison

Weekly Round up 19th April