Good Evening Class 1,

I can’t believe that I am writing the first blog of the summer term! I feel like the week has only just got started and here we are at Friday already! However, as you may be aware I was away from school for the start of the week on a very exciting course at the National STEM Learning Centre at the University of York. The theme of the course was teaching Primary Science Outdoors (although there is lots of scope to apply the skills learnt across the curriculum). I am very much looking forward to applying the skills learnt into lessons over the coming weeks.

Whilst I was away, the children were in the capable hands of Mrs Atkinson and the year 1 team, who were very pleased to tell me that the children had worked very hard and had been a pleasure to teach.

Maths

In maths the children have been working on a Measurement unit; learning about length and height; measuring using non-conventional methods to start followed by conventional methods. Next week, will see us continuing the theme of measurement, however we will be looking at mass and volume.

English

In English the children have commenced a new unit based upon Acrostic poems. To make the most of our learning time, we have chosen to make a cross-curricular link with our history unit; The Great Fire of London; therefore the children will be writing their poems based upon this subject area.

RWI Home learning:

Practice your  story green words and red words from your home reading book on a piece of paper at home. These can be found on the How to help your child read this book page.

Challenge: Can you use the words in sentences?

Maths

The maths homework for this week can be found on Seesaw. I was hoping to post three separate sheets; but unfortunately technology has got the best of me on this occasion; with this in mind, You do not need to complete each page. Please see details below as to which task you should complete:

Big Red Table: Page 4.

Yellow and Blue Table: Page 3.

Mrs Campey’s Red Table: Page 2.

The answer sheet can be found of Page 5, but this is for the adults at home to use if needed.

You do not need to print off the sheet, simple write over the top of the sheet using the pen function. If you have any problems with Seesaw, please do come and see me and I will be happy to help.

English/History

Although we have only scratched the surface of the Great Fire of London, I am confident that the children will be able to complete this task based upon the videos that we have watched in school this week.

Task

Write a list to explain how the people of London tried to stop the fire.

If you are feeling creative you may wish to include drawings on your page.

Have a great weekend!

Mr M

Weekly Round Up WC17th April